PRIZE: Free tuition and a guaranteed spot at the Working Writer’s Retreat
DATES: Accepting submissions in autumn. Awarded in winter.
2015: Submissions 10/12/15 –11/30/15. Award 2/3/16.
1. You must be a member in good standing of the SCBWI-L.A. region.
2. Published or unpublished SCBWI-L.A. members may apply.
3. The submitted manuscript must NOT be under contract for publication at the time of application.
4. Limited to one entry per person.
Submissions not in compliance with the following rules WILL BE DISQUALIFIED. To ensure fairness for all, no questions will be answered.
1. Limit the length of your submission based on its genre:
– Picture Book – text only (no illustrations or dummies)
– Middle Grade – first 10 pages
– Young Adult – first 10 pages
– Poetry – 10 poems (total of 10 pages)
2. Format your manuscript as follows:
– 1” margin on all sides
– Font: Times New Roman, 12 point
– Header on every page including PAGE NUMBER AND TITLE ONLY. (Do not include your name or any other information on your manuscript.)
3. Save your manuscript as a PDF file named with SURNAME_TITLE. Example: Rowling_Harry Potter
4. Send your submission in an email with the subject line SUE ALEXANDER GRANT to: firstname.lastname@example.org
5. In the body of your email include:
– Your current SCBWI member name
– Phone numbers
– Email address
– Title of your manuscript
6. Attach your manuscript to the email as a PDF file.
7. Entries must be received by midnight of the final submission day.
2015: Kes Trester for Collision (novel)
2014: Melody Mansfield for Between the Wish and the Word (novel)
2013: Amanda Hollander for Crumbs (novel)
2012: Penelope Merrell for SQUAWK! (A Graphic Story in Fowl Language) (PB)
2011: Abi Estrin for Stricken (novel)
2010: Susan Lendroth for Not So Loud, Natsumi (PB)
2009: Connie Summer for Garbage Day (PB)