“I specialize in kind critiques. (They are so much better than cruel ones.) When I evaluate a manuscript, I am both editor and cheerleader. I look for ways to streamline the writing, strengthen the plot, and reveal the characters. I also ask lots of questions, rather than overloading the author with my own suggestions/ideas.”
— Wade Bradford
Via email, social media, phone calls, Skype, in person meeting two or three times, if possible.
Ideally I’d like to communicate once a week for at least one hour on the phone or Skype. During the rest of the week, the mentee can contact me via email/social media with any questions or concerns about his/her work.
Please send two picture book manuscripts.
– Set a 1-inch margin on all sides
– Use Times New Roman, 12 point font
In the writing sample document, create a header with PAGE NUMBER AND SUBMISSION TITLE ONLY for each manuscript. Do not include your name or any other information on your document. Save the document as a PDF file named with YOUR SURNAME_TITLE. Example: Rowling_HarryPotter
In a separate document, provide written responses to the following questions. Create a header with PAGE NUMBER ONLY. Do not include your name or any other information on your document. Save your document as a PDF file named with YOUR SURNAME_ANSWERS. Example: Rowling_Answers
1. Why do you want a mentor?
2. What books and/or films make you laugh out loud?
3. What books and/or films, if any, have made you cry?
4. What are some of your favorite books as a child? How did they make you feel back then? How do they make you feel now?
5. As a writer, what do you believe are your strengths and weaknesses?
6. What goals do you wish to accomplish during the next six months? The next twelve months? The next five years?
Send your submission in an email with the subject line MENTOR BRADFORD to: firstname.lastname@example.org
In the body of your email include:
– Your current SCBWI member name
– Contact phone numbers
– Title of your manuscripts
– Attach your 3 PDF files
Your complete entry must be emailed by 11:59pm (PST) on February 21, 2018. You will receive an auto-response stating that we have received your entry.