“If I’m critiquing someone’s work, it can be very emotional, and sometimes when I’m talking through a critique with a writer I learn something new that totally changes the advice I give them.”
— Catherine Linka
One novel of up to 350 pages – to include:
– First round editorial notes
– Second-round editorial notes on the revised manuscript (with line edits depending on manuscript readiness).
In writing and live – either by phone or in person depending on time and distance.
“Genre is not important, but I would not be interested in working with someone who is flitting from project to project. I don’t think I would be the best mentor for a novel in verse.”
— Catherine Linka
In one document, provide a one-page synopsis of your work-in-progress or finished manuscript; the first 10 pages of your manuscript; and answers to the following questions:
– What aspects of writing present the biggest challenges for you?
– Why do you want a mentor?
– Have you ever participated in a critique group? What was that experience like for you?
– Does criticism galvanize you or scare you?
– Would you be willing to throw away a substantial portion of your manuscript or start over if that change holds the possibility of creating an amazing novel?
Format your document as follows:
– Your synopsis is on page 1 of your document
– Your manuscript is on pages 2-11
– Your answers to the above questions begin on page 12 of your document.
– Set a 1-inch margin on all sides
– Use Times New Roman, 12 point font
– Create a header with PAGE NUMBER AND MANUSCRIPT TITLE ONLY. Do not include your name or any other information on your document.
– Save your document as a PDF file named with SURNAME_TITLE. Example: Rowling_Harry Potter
Send your submission in an email with the subject line MENTOR LINKA to: email@example.com
In the body of your email include:
– Your current SCBWI member name
– Contact phone numbers
– Genre and title of your manuscript
– Attach your PDF file
Your complete entry must be emailed by 11:59pm (PST) on March 17, 2016. You will receive an auto-response stating that we have received your entry.