“Critiques can be incredibly rewarding when they are completed with serious care. I offer thorough critiques that allow the writer to see what is working and that also show the writer areas that need work, without destroying the writer’s confidence.”
— E. Katherine Kottaras
Up to 300 pages of one large project or sections of multiple projects. Critique includes:
– A brief summary of the piece.
– Identification of what’s memorable, strong and working.
– Questions about sections that are confusing or need more detail.
– Feedback on language (grammar, diction, dialogue tags, etc.), if needed.
– Answers to the writer’s specific questions.
At least once weekly by phone and/or email, and at least six face-to-face meetings (once per month).
Prepare two documents as described below, formatted as follows:
– Set a 1-inch margin on all sides
– Use Times New Roman, 12 point font
In one document, provide up to 20 pages of your best, written work. Content can include the beginning of a book (fiction or nonfiction) as a complete first chapter, and/or short stories, and/or creative nonfiction and/or verse.
“I am not looking for a particular mode or genre of writing, but I am interested in hearing the writer’s voice. I am happy to work with a writer at any stage of her/his writing, whether they have completed a full manuscript or not.”
— E. Katherine Kottaras
In this document, create a header with PAGE NUMBER AND SUBMISSION TITLE ONLY. Do not include your name or any other information on your document. Save the document as a PDF file named with YOUR SURNAME_TITLE. Example: Rowling_Harry Potter
In a separate document, provide written responses to the following questions. Create a header with PAGE NUMBER ONLY. Do not include your name or any other information on your document. Save your document as a PDF file named with YOUR SURNAME_ANSWERS. Example: Rowling_Answers.
– How many manuscripts have you written?
– What are your short-term writing goals? In other words, what do you hope to accomplish within the next six-months to a year?
– What are your long-term writing goals? Where do you see yourself in five years?
– What are your favorite books? (MG/YA/adult)
– Who or what inspires you to write? (Can include other writers, films, TV shows, personal notes, history, etc.)
Send your submission in an email with the subject line MENTOR KOTTARAS to: firstname.lastname@example.org
In the body of your email include:
– Your current SCBWI member name
– Contact phone numbers
– Genre(s) and title(s) of your manuscript(s)
– Attach your (2) PDF files
Your complete entry must be emailed by 11:59pm (PST) on March 17, 2016. You will receive an auto-response stating that we have received your entry.