Free written critique from one of our faculty members AND free tuition to Writers & Illustrators Day 2018.
Accepting submissions in fall. Awarded at Writers & Illustrators Day.
2017: Submissions 10/27/16 – 12/8/16. Award 2/25/17.
- Picture Book (text only, no illustration or dummies)
- Middle Grade novel (first 10 pages)
- Young Adult novel (first 10 pages)
- Other: Non-Fiction book or Other (first 10 pages) / Poetry (10 pages)
If there are fewer than five submissions in a category or judges feel no submission deserves recognition, no award will be given. The number of awards given in each category will be roughly 20 percent of the total number of qualifying entries in each category with the cap set at three per category.
1. You must be registered for the Writers & Illustrators Day event.
2. You may enter ONE unpublished manuscript in ONE category only.
3. The submitted manuscript must NOT be under contract for publication at the time of application.
4. Manuscripts that have won first place in any other SCBWI-L.A. contest are ineligible.
(New rule: If your manuscript wins first place at Writers & Illustrators Day, it will be ineligible for all future contests, including the Mentor Contest and Sue Alexander Grant.)
5. Manuscripts with multiple authors are eligible, but the prize will be split – i.e. two authors would win half-price tuition each.
Submissions not in compliance with the following rules WILL BE DISQUALIFIED.
To ensure fairness for all, no questions will be answered. Please read carefully.
1. Format your manuscript as follows:
- 1″ margin on all sides
- Font: Times New Roman, 12 point
- Header on every page including PAGE NUMBER AND TITLE ONLY. Do not include your name or any other information on your manuscript.
2. Save your manuscript as a PDF file named with SURNAME_TITLE. Example: Rowling_Harry Potter
3. Send your submission in an email with the subject line WRITERS CONTEST to: firstname.lastname@example.org
4. In the body of your email include:
- Your name
- Phone numbers
- Email address
- Title of your manuscript
- Entry category
5. Attach your manuscript to the email as a PDF file.
6. All entries must be emailed by by 11:59pm (PST) on December 8, 2016. You will receive an auto-response indicating that we have received your entry.